Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Rogue Elephant Terrace Bistro - A hidden treasure in the shady glades of Koramangala's 4th block

I was researching a new dinner hotspot, someplace on the way home, where I could get my gastronomic fill of fine food, avoid a pretentious atmosphere, and most of all, have the experience be affordable. The Rogue Elephant Terrace Bistro really hit the spot, as I wrangled with my conscience about eating out the day after I had just visited the Olive Beach for A's birthday.

I guess I was trying to seek solace in the fact that finally I had come across a place where one could find bistro quality food, but not have it cartooned by poorly chosen ostentatious looking interiors, by restaurant owners who lacked good taste. The gigantic sized fountain, in the form of a natural waterfall at the bistro's entrance, looked lush and inviting, wooing me inside the premises. I entered what seemed like a craft store or gift shop, filled with ornamental water features. Two entrances to the actual "terrace" which served as the main dining room, were provided to guests visiting the restaurant.

Once seated, I began my light 3-course dinner with an appetizer of smoken salmon toasts with cream cheese and capers. Deliciously light and refreshing, proceeded to my second entree course from the restaurant's lauded specials list - the fish in lemon butter sauce, served with rice and freshly steamed veggies. The main dish was not at all overwhelming, and had just the right amount of sauce to go with the fish! The fish itself was succulent and hadn't dried out, a mistake most rookie chefs make, when they try and overimpress their hosts. The sweet ending to my meal came when I was presented the Rum Vahua - a special that the Rogue is apparently famous for, which is their dessert adaptation of a B52 shooter! All in all, a great meal, surrounded by a great ambience, decent selection of domestic wines and wine cocktails and for a change, pleasant and friendly customer service shown by their wait staff.

My debut visit was probably the best I had had. Each subsequent visit made, tended to render dining experiences that were a bit tired, with the food impressing me less and less. I would still go back here though, if I were in the area and would probably stick to their classic recommended entrees: the fish (as described above), the smoked salmon crostinis, the fig and pannacotta salad (really yummy and light salad) and of course, their Rum Vahua, paired with a glass of sparkling sula!

[This post was originally started almost 9 months before the time of its posting! The latter part of the post reflects my present opinion of the RETB and the former two paragraphs, my past opinion and experience]

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home